Monday 5 August 2013

Isle of Eigg, Scotland


11 August 2013

As part of my sailing holiday in Scotland, I did a day trip by boat from Arisaig to the Isle of Eigg, and the bonus was I could hire a slightly ropey mountain bike to explore the island.  The weather was pretty gloomy. I suppose by August in Scotland you don't expect a hot summer, and it started raining very heavily half way through the ride, so I had to don waterproofs which I fortunately had. But you forget about these things afterwards, especially when there is such a good cafe here, and the scenery is wild and desolate.


13 Miles along a track south of the Sgurr Mountain to start, then I followed the only road to the North of the Island; there were no doubt more tracks to explore if I had had the time
Very steep track leaving Galmisdale, quite rough in places, and quite a few ups and downs along the way
Galmisdale Bay at Southern end; you can see the Sgurr from a long way away
Still smiling despite the pouring rain;
on the ro-ro ferry jetty
View of Galmisdale with cafe and bike hire hut - had to wait for the  bike man to come down from his house; there is also a shop where I saw some Germans buying beer and Drambuie before their bike ride
The Sgurr - you can climb it from the other side

Having left Galmisdale, I climbed a very steep track and then found this track along the south side of the Sgurr





Not ridden a mountain bike for ages - getting used to riding across rough ground; glad I was fit

Nice tracks for a mile or two but it became impassable eventually as I headed west
Isle of Muck, from Eigg

The track once I turned northwards along the spine of the Island to join the 'main' road
Heading up to Cleadale, a little hamlet where the road stops - but for the rain and lack of time, I would have continued on the track further north



Some Italians came to the Island, and never left (?)
Bay of Laig beach on the west coast, steep rough path from the 'main' road to get here

Bay of Laig Beach with Isle of Rhum behind in the cloud
Heading back south again - is that the mainland in the distance?
Back in the cafe in Galmisdale - much appreciated after the rain and cold

Hungry work is cycling - very tasty fish cakes and salad


No comments:

Post a Comment